Dal Bukhara Curry Recipe
North Indian Curry
Dal Bukhara is a creamy, yummy protein rich punjabi dal recipe made with black lentils (black urad dal).
1 Tsp turmeric Powder
4 Medium Sized Tomatoes (Tomato Puree)
Salt To Taste
1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
1/4 Tsp Chat Masala
1/2 Tsp Garam Masala
1 Tsp Kasuri Methi
1 Cup of Fresh Cream
2 Medium Sized Chopped Onions
2 Tsp Chopped Garlic
1/2 Tsp of Finely Chopped Ginger
A Pinch of Cumin Seeds
4 Medium Sized Green Chillies
4 Tbsp of Vegetable Oi
1 Cup of Black Urad Dal / Kali Urad Dal / Whole Black Gram
4 Cups of Water to Soak the Dal
2 Cups of Water to Boil the Dal
1 Cup of Water for the Final Dal Curry Mixture
1 Tsp Butter or Ghee
2 Charcoal Pieces
Other Optional Ingredients
Procedure To Prepare For Dal Bukhara
Soak dal for at-least 4 to 5 hours.
Put dal in a pressure cooker and cook for 5 to 6 whistles.
While the dal gets cooked, make the puree of tomatoes and crush the ginger, garlic to paste.
Procedure To Make Dal Bukhara Curry Recipe
Heat oil in a pan or kadai.
Add the cumin seeds and when they start cracking, add the ginger garlic paste.
Add the green chillies and chopped onions. Saute for a minute.
Now add the tomato puree and the spice powders - turmeric powder, red chilli powder and garam masala powder.
Add salt to taste and coriander powder.
Add kasuri methi, mix well and cook the mixture for 3 minutes.
Add the boiled dal with some water and mash a little bit with a spoon.
On a medium flame, boil the dal for 25 to 30 minutes.
Now add the fresh cream.
Dal Bukhara curry is ready to be served hot with steamed rice, paratha, chapathi, roti or nan.
You can also add the charcoal flavour (optional) to the dal.
* To get the charcoal flavour to the dal bukhara curry
- Hold a piece of coal in between the tongs.
- Heat the piece of charcoal in the flame until it becomes red hot.
- Place some onion slices on dal and place the heated red hot charcoal on the onion slices.
- Pour few tsp of oil or butter or ghee on the coal and cover the lid of the cooker tightly.
- Keep the lid for a few minutes and then remove the lid.
- Place the red hot coal in a steel bowl and place this bowl on top of the cooked dal bukhara in a cooker.