A quick evening snack recipe that's delicious, easy and simple to prepare is Poha Vada also known as flattened rice fritters. It hardly takes 20 minutes to make out a fresh crispy mouth-watering poha vada at home instantly. The snack tastes the best with tamarind chutney and also goes well with mint chutney too. A cup of masala tea/chai with this poha vada as a combination makes a perfect evening snack.
Ingredients required for the preparation of the recipe:
Oil for deep frying or to follow healthy tips you can just pan fry or air fry the vada
2 Tablespoons of finely chopped coriander
½ an inch of grated ginger
Salt to taste or according to the preference
One cup of poha/flattened rice/atukulu/aval
1 Small finely chopped onion
2 Tablespoons of finely chopped mint leaves
3 Tablespoons of corn starch or all-purpose flour - add more as it depends on how moist is the poha
2 or 3 finely chopped green chillies
INSTRUCTIONS TO PREPARE THE SNACK
- Clear wash the poha twice to thrice with water and soak the poha for about 3 minutes by adding some more water.
- Squeeze the excess water from the poha after draining the water completely and set aside the poha for about 5 minutes. This makes the poha soft.
- Take the poha and press it to make it a bit soft.
- Now add the finely chopped ingredients of onions, ginger, green chillies, coriander leaves and mint leaves along with corn starch and salt.
- Mix all of them well together and check for adjusting the taste and seasoning.
- To make the mix into vada, you may need to sprinkle some water or add more corn starch.
- Heat the oil in a pan for deep frying the vada.
- Wet your hands with water and make the shape of vada as per your taste by taking a small portion of the dough and flattening it slightly.
- Now after the oil gets a little bit hotter, deep fry the vada on a medium flame until it turns to light brown.
- Serve the delicious, mouth-watering, easy to make instant crispy poha vada with tamarind or mint chutney of your choice.