Sona Masoori Rice is the most popular rich variety of rice that can be used to prepare almost all rice recipes. Sona Masoori is unpolished grain rice mainly cultivated in the regions of Karnataka, Telangana and Andhra Pradesh. As the name says, it is a hybrid of two rice species, Sona and Masoori. Sona Masoori is popular for its delicious aroma and unforgettable flavour.
It comes in both white rice and brown rice. It is usually sold unpolished or polished and in raw or par-boiled. In order to get the most health benefits and nutrients, many people opt for the raw, brown and unpolished variety. Also, the brown Sona Masoori is rich in fibre bran coating. Sona Masoori gained immense popularity for its premium quality and rich aroma. The grains are fluffy, aromatic and lightweight.
Sona Masoori rice has benefits that are more than regular rice. It is because the brown Sona Masoori rice is made up of whole grain of rice which has a lot of nutrients whereas the regular white rice comes with the top two layers removed so the nutrients aren't full.
BENEFITS OF SONA MASOORI RICE
- Since the brown Sona Masoori rice is rich in fibre and nutrients, it helps in easier digestion.
- It acts as a good source of energy for the body.
- It is rich in carbohydrates which in turn means it has a high starch content.
- Sona Masoori helps and aids in weight loss which makes it compulsory intake for regular gym-going and diet conscious people.
- It has fewer calories, lower fat and helps in maintaining fitness.
- It is perfect for people to replace with Sona Masoori rice who avoid rice completely to prevent weight gain.
- Due to their low glycemic index, they lower the glucose levels in the blood and are also good for diabetics.
- Due to their low starch content, it is easier to cook.
HOW TO COOK SONA MASOORI RICE
- Take a medium cup of rice in a large pot.
- Rinse the grains to remove starch for about 2 to 3 times.
- Add 2 and ½ cups of water and allow it to rest for about 15 minutes.
- Put the pot on the gas stove and cover it with a lid.
- Occasionally, stir the grains until it gets to the boiling point.
- Allow the rice to cook on a medium flame for about 15 minutes until the water gets absorbed.
- You can add 1 tablespoon of ghee or butter to the rice before turning off the flame and 1/4th tablespoon of salt along with water (and bring to the boiling point) to get that delicious exotic aroma of the Sona Masoori rice.
DISHES YOU CAN COOK WITH SONA MASOORI RICE
- A popular dish with Sona Masoori rice isSouth Indian Mushroom Biryani. You can have a look at the recipe along with the ingredients.
- Plain rice with sambar.
- Indian style vegetable pulao.
- Chicken stir-fried rice.
- Vegetable stir-fried rice.
- Sweet Pongal.