Tasty Kadhi Recipe
North Indian Recipe
Gujarati Style Kadhi is one of the popular and best recipes of Gujarati cuisine. Gujarati kadhi is more like watery in consistency infused with the taste and flavour of Indian spices, curry spices, curd, besan. Gujarati dahi kadhi is thin in consistency made with less besan and also has a sour, sweet taste. Served hot with simple rice, kichidi, steamed rice or veg pulao makes the kadhi taste delicious.
- 2 Cups of Plain Yogurt or Curd
- 4 Cups of Water
- 1 Tbsp White Sugar or Sugar To Taste
- Salt To Taste
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Turmeric
- 2 Tbsp of Besan or Chickpea Flour
- 4 Vertically Slit Green Chilli Peppers
- 1 Tbsp Minced Fresh Ginger
1 Tbsp of Ghee
1/2 Tsp of Cumin Seeds
2 Broken Dried Red Chilli Peppers
1/2 Tsp of Mustard Seeds
1/4 Cup of Chopped Cilantro Leaves
1/2 Tsp Fresh Curry Leaves
A Pinch of Hing (Asafoetida)
1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
For Kadhi Base
In a large saucepan, mix the yogurt / curd, water and besan / chickpea flour together until it turns out to a smooth liquid consistency.
Now add ginger, turmeric, sugar, green chilli peppers and salt.
Get the liquid mixture to a boil and then immediately reduce the flame to low.
Cook the liquid mixture on a low flame for about 5 to 10 minutes.
Tempering The Kadhi Recipe
Heat the ghee and oil together in a small pan over a medium flame.
Add the curry leaves, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dried red chilli peppers, hing powder and fry on a medium flame until the seeds splutter.
Add all these fried spices to the liquid mixture in the saucepan.
Stir well and garnish the tasty Gujarati kadhi with chopped cilantro leaves.
Serve hot with steamed rice, vegetable pulao, plain rice or kichidi.
* The dish can be served as a substitute of moong dal in any Gujarati meal.
* Adjust the consistency of the kadhi to your preference.
* You can also adjust the amount of sugar as per your taste.
* Use gluten-free hing to make the recipe gluten-free.
* 1 Tbsp means Tablespoon.
* 1 Tsp means Teaspoon.