Soya Chaap Curry
North Indian Curry
Soya Chaap Curry is a 100% vegetarian dish that looks similar to Sheekh Kebabs in texture and appearance. Soya Chaaps (Soya Sticks) are used to prepare and cook vegan like meat curries to be served with roti or rice. These soya chaaps (soya sticks) are also coated in tandoori masala and grilled to serve as a snack which is a great source of protein for vegetarians.
5 to 6 Soya Chaaps (Soya Sticks)
1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 Tsp Salt or Salt To Taste
2 Tbsp Oil
4 Tbsp Mustard Oil (Sarson Ka Tel)
1 Tsp Garam Masala
1 Tsp red Chilli Powder
1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
Salt To Taste
1 Tbsp Freshly Chopped Coriander Leaves
2 Sliced Green Chillies
1 Tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
1 Cup Finely Chopped Onion
1 Bay Leaf (Tej Patta)
1 Cup of Tomato Paste (Finely Grinded 2 Small Sized Tomatoes)
For Soya Chaap Curry Recipe
For Soya Chaap Gravy
Instructions To Prepare Soya Chaap Curry
Remove the soya chaaps from the sticks with a fork.
Cut the soya chaap into big chunks and make sure not to have very small pieces.
Spread red chilli powder, salt and turmeric on the soya chaap pieces and mix well.
Heat oil in a pan and saute the soya chaap pieces till they are roasted or turn into light brown colour. Transfer the roasted pieces into a plate and keep aside.
Procedure To Prepare Soya Chaap Masala Gravy
Take a heavy bottom pan and heat mustard oil.
Add a bay leaf and fry till you can smell the aroma for 2 to 3 seconds.
Add the chopped onions and fry in a low flame till they turn into golden colour. While frying the onion keep stirring at regular intervals so that they do not get burnt.
After frying the onion, add the ginger garlic paste and fry it for 2 to 3 minutes till the raw smell fades out.
Add the red chilli powder, turmeric, tomato paste and stir well to combine. Fry and stir the masala paste at regular intervals in a low heat till it starts leaving the sides of the pan.
Add the roasted soya chaap pieces and stir to combine by cooking them covered with a lid in a low heat for 10 minutes.
Now, remove the lid and approximately add 1 cup of water, green chilli, garam masala, chopped coriander. Mix well to combine the gravy.
Now allow the gravy to be in simmer in a low heat for 10 minutes.
Tada! Tasty Punjabi Soya Chaap Curry is ready to be served with roti / chapathi / rice or lacha paratha.
* While using the pre packed frozen soya chaap, defrost them as per the instructions given on the packet before marinating the spices.
* To serve the gravy with reduced thickness, add 2 cups of water instead of 1 cup.
* This curry can be served in festive meals which is delicious, rich in protein and also easy to prepare.
* There are numerous variations for this curry such as Soya Tikka Masala, Malai Soya, Achari Chaap, Chaap Chilli, Kadai, Tawa Chaap, Hariyali Chaap, Shahi Chaap etc.
* The curry tastes great even with tawa paratha or missi roti and steamed rice, jeera rice or any slightly spiced pulao.