Spicy Tangy Kara / Tomato Garlic Chutney
Tamil Nadu Recipe
Tamil Nadu Style Spicy Kara Chutney / Spicy Tomato Garlic Chutney recipe is a famous side dish chutney mostly served with idli, dosa, uttapam like breakfast dishes. It is made with onions, garlic, spices and tomatoes. It has a tangy and spicy flavour.
2 Tsp of Oil for Masala
1 Tsp of Oil for Tempering
1 Tsp Chana Dal
1 Medium Sized Chopped Onio
4 Garlic Cloves
4 Curry Leaves
1/2 Tsp Urad Dal
3 Dried Red Chillies Broken
2 Finely Chopped Tomatoes
2 Tsp of Tamarind Water
1 Tsp of Mustard Seeds
Salt To Taste
Heat 2 tsp of oil in a pan. Add the chana dal, urad dal and on a low flame roast them.
Now add the dried red chilli powder and roast till the dal turns into slightly golden brown colour.
Add the garlic, onions and saute till the onions change into golden colour.
Now add the tomatoes, salt and mix them well.
Cook till the tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
Turn off the flame and cool the mixture completely. Transfer the mixture to a blender.
Add tamarind water to the mixture and then blend into a coarse smooth paste.
Tempering To Make The Chutney
Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan and add mustard seeds to it. Allow the seeds to splutter.
Now add the curry leaves and allow them also to crackle.
In a bowl, take the blended chutney and pour the tempering into it. Mix well to taste delicious.
Serve the spicy kara / tomato garlic chutney with idli, dosa, uttappam.
* Saute the dal in a low flame to avoid burning them.
* Kara chutney is delicious and tasty when prepared spicy.
* Tsp means Teaspoon.
* You can add more or less water to the chutney to attain the desired consistency.
* You can remove the seeds from the dried red chillies while preparing the chutney.
* If you don't want the tangy flavour for the chutney, then you can skip adding the tamarind water and instead you can add the normal water.