This recipe tastes good with rice and roti.
2 cups-Red gram/Toor dal
1 cup- bottle guard
1 tsp- Cumin seeds
1 tsp- Mustard seeds
3 tsp- oil
1- Red dried chili
1 pod- Curry leaves
1 pinch- Asafoetida/Hing
1 pinch- Turmeric Powder
To taste- Salt
1/2 tsp- Red chilli Powder
4- Green chilies
Lemon sized- Tamarind
- First boil the red gram or toor dal and keep it aside.
- Peel and chop bottle guard, green chillies and keep them aside.
- Soak tamarind in a small cup of water.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, asafoetida, garlic cloves, red dried chilli, curry leaves and green chilli slices.
- Let them pop up. Add bottle guard slices and mix them well.
- Let it cook for 3-5 min. Now add tamarind paste.
- Add boiled red gram/toor dal.
- Mix them and let them cook.
- After 5 min add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and mix the dal.
- Let them cook for few more min. Put off the flame.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves and green chilli.
- Serve with roti and rice.
- Add 1 tsp of fenugreek seeds powder in oil during frying the spices. Dal becomes more delicious.
- Instead of red chilli powder more green chillies can be added for a spicy dal.
- Onion/potato chips slices can be used for munching while having this with rice or roti.